James McClatchy founded The Bee in Sacramento, Calif., in 1857. The company that still bears its name is now one of the largest newspaper companies in the nation.
The company launched the Fresno Bee in 1922 and bought the Modesto Bee in1927. In 1979 McClatchy purchased its first papers outside California, the Anchorage Daily News and the Tri-City Herald of Kennewick, Wash. In 2006, McClatchy purchased Knight-Ridder, retaining 20 of its 32 daily newspapers.
In addition to its daily newspapers, the company owns 50 nondaily papers, and direct marketing and direct mail operations. It also owns a minority share of CareerBuilder.com and the parent company of cars.com and apartments.com.
The company went public in 1988 and its Class A stock is traded on the New York Stock Exchange. Control of the company is vested in Class B common stock, which does not trade publicly.
Below is a count of the company’s news outlets by media sector.
- BEE - Fresno, CA
- BEE - Modesto, CA
- BEE - Sacremento, CA
- CENTRE DAILY TIMES - State College, PA
- DAILY NEWS - Anchorage, Alaska
- EAGLE - Wichita, KS
- EL NUEVO HERALD - Miami, FL
- GAZETTE - Beaufort, SC
- HERALD - Bradenton, FL
- HERALD - Rock Hill, SC
- HERALD - Bellingham, WA
- HERALD-LEADER - Lexington, KY
- IDAHO STATESMAN - Boise, ID
- ISLAND PACKET - Hilton Head, SC
- LEDGER-ENQUIRER - Columbus, GA
- MIAMI HERALD - Miami, FL
- NEWS & OBSERVER - Raleigh, NC
- NEWS TRIBUNE - Tacoma, WA
- NEWS-DEMOCRAT - Belleville, IL
- OBSERVER - Charlotte, NC
- OLYMPIAN - Olympia, WA
- STAR - Kansas City, MO
- STAR-TELEGRAM - Fort Worth, TX
- STATE - Columbia, SC
- SUN HERALD - Biloxi, MS
- SUN NEWS - Myrtle Beach, SC
- SUN-STAR - Merced, CA
- TELEGRAPH - Macon, GA
- TRI-CITY HERALD - Pasco, WA
- TRIBUNE - San Louis, CA